Monday, April 18, 2011

The Big Show

The Kawartha Quiltmakers had their annual show this weekend. While most of the quilts were of a more traditional style, I found a few little gems.
Most exciting, I found two art quilts by Judith Maher. When I saw these about a year ago when I first started quilting, her style inspired me to give art quilting a try. I've started dabbling a bit, but these quilts have remained in my imagination as source of inspiration. Now if only I could afford the $650 price tag to bring one home.
Unfortunately they were posted about ten feet above the floor so I couldn't get a good pic, but here they are.

She's got a collagy-layering style embellished with hand quilting. She's used some sashiko stitching for the rain.
I wish this pic captured the texture of the snow and trees.
Mollie Clarke totally floored me with her mastery of curves. She developed this beauty from a mosaic in an Italian cathedral floor.
Bev Longford had an amazing display of her whimsical quilts. Love those borders.
Her applique is highly embellished with beads, buttons, and metallic threads.
And though it's a little traditional for my taste, I had to include this one just as a nod to her incredible piecing and applique skills. I will NEVER have the patience for this!
But the most exciting parts were the vendors. It's hard to find contemporary fabric around here, so I snatched up these fun little beauties. Must...feed...stash....
Now what to make with these?

2 comments:

  1. be inspired ... i commission you to make me a whimsical baby quilt for my crazy pregnant 35 year old friend who will allow her second child, a girl, to have a little pink. i know what ever you come up with will be spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send me some inspiration pics and I'll whip something up!

    ReplyDelete